Investing in a new website when you’ve got one that “works” can be a difficult decision to make, especially if you wonder if your marketing dollars would be better spent elsewhere. But if there’s something nudging you suggesting that your website may not be up to scratch, it’s nearly always right.
While you may have a website that tells visitors everything they need to know, it likely isn’t optimized to offer the best customer experience possible. You need to remember that your website isn’t just a place to share information, it is also your business’s home and sets your visitors’ expectations as to what they can expect from you. If it’s not putting your best foot forward, it’s turning people away.
If you’re not sure if now is the right time to get a new website, read on for 5 signs that it is.
5 Signs Your Company Needs a New Website
- Your bounce rate is high or your time on site is short. The speed with which we can like, comment on, and search for information has become so fast that we’ve come to expect this all the time. If your website takes too long to load or is awkward to navigate, users will lose interest rapidly and simply look for what they need elsewhere. Look at your analytics to find out what your bounce rate is (that’s how many people leave your site shortly after arriving) and your time on site. The time on site metric is exactly what it sounds like – how long people stay on your site. The average is 2-3 minutes, so if you’re looking at less than that, it’s a sign there’s a problem. If you haven’t yet set up analytics, ask people who are unfamiliar with your site to carry out a few tasks and then ask them how easy (or not) they found the task to do.
- Your site isn’t mobile-friendly.61% of all searches are now made via a mobile device, so if your site only works on desktop, it’s time to give it an overhaul ASAP.
- Your site is 5+ years old. How can your customers expect you to keep on top of the latest market trends if your website looks like it was made in 2012? An outdated website makes any brand look uninformed, unprofessional, out-of-touch, and often turns consumers away.
- Your website no longer matches your brand. Few things are more confusing as a consumer than seeing a company advertise in a way that doesn’t match the rest of their branding. Has your target market changed since you first put together your website? If so, your current website won’t attract them to you and may even turn them away.
- Your site doesn’t offer the functionality your consumer would expect. If your site doesn’t have an easy way to reach out to you, to make a booking, or make a purchase, most visitors will simply go elsewhere. Younger generations don’t want to make a phone call to find out the information they need to work with you or buy from you, and neither do a lot of tech-savvy mature people. Don’t make your customer have to jump through hoops simply to contact you – get a website that makes it clear and easy for them to do so.
Having a modern website is all about making the user experience easier and more pleasurable. If your visitors feel like using your current website is like walking up stairs, a new website can make it feel like slipping down a slide – easy, fun, with one clear route to their goal.
If you’re founding a new business or know it’s time to give your current website a makeover, we’re here to help. We create clean, modern, responsive websites for small businesses that help convert visitors to customers. To find out more about how we can help, click here.